February 4th
PJ's "toddlers diarrhea" turned out to be an infection. Method for testing for infection: scooping poop out of her diaper. Doesn't that sound like fun? We had to fill three small vial's. Even though they were pretty small, they seemed huge because it took many diapers to get them all filled. She has an infection that's common when someone has taken too much antibiotics. Julia hasn't really been on any but the doctor said that doesn't have to be the reason - it's just the more common one. We are relieved that it's not toddlers diarrhea. I can't imagine spending the next year or so with constant watery diapers.
Miss Julia is now crawling everywhere. Up until recently, she wouldn't crawl on the tile floor which limited her to just the living room. Not now. She's in the kitchen, entry way, down the hall and her big interest is our bedroom. She loves to get in there and play with the handles on the chest of drawers. Oh, and what fun the door stops are!
Feeding by mouth is a very cranky subject at the Cody house. Not that we were making any progress but now Julia puts up a fight when you try and get a spoon near her. It's turned into an "I don't think so" standoff. She shakes her head no, pushes the spoon away, pushes her lips together so there's no way you can get in there and we sure don't get her close to the high chair. She really gets mad then. We are at wits end. Where do you draw the line between not creating an aversion and not letting her win the fight? It's so frustrating. I'm waiting to hear from Our Childrens House regarding their inpatient feeding program. Julie (Halle's mom) said she had also inquired. From what she understood, they don't accept kids until they were at least three or four years old. Also, inpatient means we would all live there for eight intense weeks. We can't imagine being separated from her for eight weeks but we do need to earn a living. Even if I were to take short term disability, that's only six weeks. Surely there is a program for kids with working parents??? In the meantime, we just keep trying. Whatever I'm eating, I try putting on her tongue. Not big pieces of food but things like a taste of mayo from my burger. Maybe one of these days she'll grab the burger and chomp away.
Miss Julia is now crawling everywhere. Up until recently, she wouldn't crawl on the tile floor which limited her to just the living room. Not now. She's in the kitchen, entry way, down the hall and her big interest is our bedroom. She loves to get in there and play with the handles on the chest of drawers. Oh, and what fun the door stops are!
Feeding by mouth is a very cranky subject at the Cody house. Not that we were making any progress but now Julia puts up a fight when you try and get a spoon near her. It's turned into an "I don't think so" standoff. She shakes her head no, pushes the spoon away, pushes her lips together so there's no way you can get in there and we sure don't get her close to the high chair. She really gets mad then. We are at wits end. Where do you draw the line between not creating an aversion and not letting her win the fight? It's so frustrating. I'm waiting to hear from Our Childrens House regarding their inpatient feeding program. Julie (Halle's mom) said she had also inquired. From what she understood, they don't accept kids until they were at least three or four years old. Also, inpatient means we would all live there for eight intense weeks. We can't imagine being separated from her for eight weeks but we do need to earn a living. Even if I were to take short term disability, that's only six weeks. Surely there is a program for kids with working parents??? In the meantime, we just keep trying. Whatever I'm eating, I try putting on her tongue. Not big pieces of food but things like a taste of mayo from my burger. Maybe one of these days she'll grab the burger and chomp away.
1 Comments:
At 8:58 PM, February 06, 2006,
hallegracesmama said…
Ewww...Halle had that infection over the summer. Glad you finally got a diagnosis!
I love your humor, Julia's Grammy! You're abslutely right that Julia (and all of our kids) have come so amazingly far. The progress seems to be much slower these days and it does get frustrating. Thanks for reminding us to keep our heads up!
And Carrie, I heard OCH is looking at taking patients under 18mos. We see the SLP tomorrow so I will ask more.
Post a Comment
<< Home