Princess Julia

This is the story of Julia Elizabeth. She was born at 27 weeks 4 days gestation weighing 1lb 14oz.

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

March 28th 2006

Julia started pulling up to her feet last night. My mom and Darrin "said" they had already seen her pull up but I thought they were kidding. The first few tries required a little assistance but it wasn't long before she had the hang of it. We'll see if she does it again today. I guess we should be preparing to relocate things Julia will pull up on and get to.

Our newest approach to feeding by mouth is to give PJ a bowl, a spoon, and food and then walk away and ignore her. The therapist said she's very independent (imagine that...hmmm, what a shocker) so let her do things her way. If she makes a mess that's ok. If she plays in it, that's fine. Although we are suppose to ignore her I can't help but spy on her. If I'm in the other room, I can tell when she gets food in her mouth because she starts gagging. The therapist said the key is variety so whatever we eat, I toss in a blender for her. At the moment she's curious about mashed potatoes, apple sauce, banana pudding (only if it's room temp), and gumming a piece of bacon. Tonight we're going to try navy beans that my mom made.

The March of Dimes walk is right around the corner. I have yet to reacquaint myself with the dusty treadmill in our office. Sometimes I think I hear it calling my name but I ignore it. Most people would probably start gearing up for a five mile race. I'm holding out in hopes that when I get tired, PJ will share her stroller with me and Darrin will push us.

Last weekend my mom came down and kept Julia while Darrin and I took some "us" time. Friday night we attended a happy hour with Darrin's coworkers. It was so nice to be around adults w/o discussing Julia (other than the casual inquiries on how she's doing). I had forgotten how good Budweiser and hot wings tasted. Saturday was a movie and dinner. Sunday we had our taxes done. Normally, it's the least favorite thing to do but it was another opportunity to interact with adults (ok, how sad is that?). Thanks mom!

2 Comments:

  • At 1:21 PM, March 29, 2006, Blogger HHH said…

    Grandparents are GREAT! I dont know what I would do without mine! Can't wait to see you guys are the MOD walk! Five miles wont kill you!!

     
  • At 1:20 PM, March 30, 2006, Blogger hallegracesmama said…

    I think our girls conspired against us back in the NICU. Halle eats/plays with her food more when I leave her alone too. And she doesn't want anything to do with cold foods either! How's the beans go?

    Can't wait for the walk! You can do it!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home