Princess Julia

This is the story of Julia Elizabeth. She was born at 27 weeks 4 days gestation weighing 1lb 14oz.

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Finally....an update

I'm sorry I haven't posted in a while. Honestly, I've just been lazy. I have lots of cute pictures to post but for some reason blogger won't let me. Now I have to use photobucket. I haven't taken the time to figure it out (I'm sure it's very simple). I promise to have pictures soon.

Let's see......

Julia has graduated from walking to running. It's funny to watch her chubby legs move. She's picked up new words (bunny, Auntie, Emmmie - for Aunt Emily, Nana, Papa, Grammy, Mandy and her new phrase "get back"). But for the most part she just babbles and talks to herself. She sounds like she's speaking Chinese.

We took a road trip (our first with Julia) for the holiday weekend. Drove to Missouri to see Darrin's family. It's an eight hour drive but we drove 1/2 way and spent the night in Oklahoma. I must say Julia did great. There were only a few times that I wanted to leave her on the side of the road.

We haven't had a check-up appointment in a couple of months so I'm not sure how much PJ weighs. I'm guessing 24lbs. Last week I was in Target and found a couple of long sleeve shirts for Julia. I had to buy her a size 2T! They'll be big for a while but I figured by the time I wash them and 1/2 way through winter they'd fit her perfectly. I just can't believe we're at the toddler size. Seems like it was just yesterday when micro-preemie clothes were too big and the 0-3 months size was a huge milestone.

I found out we qualify for Synagis again this year. I am thankful for that. Another reason to be less guarded during RSV season. There's no way we could be house bound all winter like last year. We'll take some precautions (not being around someone who is sick, flu shot, using the grocery cart cover at the store and restaurants, etc.) but nothing like last winter.

Speech therapy/feeding: we've had improvements. Julia is much more comfortable letting the therapist mess around in her mouth. She's been taking sips of water out of a cup (sip=baby spoonful) and biting into crackers. Just recently, she started swallowing cracker crumbs (very small pieces). She still gags but it goes down. The first time she did it I almost fainted. The second time she just held it in her mouth so I flipped her upside down and blew in her face so she would swallow. I wasn't about to let her spit that cracker out! She likes being upside down so she thought it was a game.

This is hilarious: Last week, Aunt Lea says "Do you know Julia's afraid when the doorbell rings?" I said "What? I've never seen her get upset." Lea said she starts crying. I thought she was exaggerating and if PJ really did get upset it was probably because the dog scared her. Normally, Gypsy's lazy a$$ sleeps all day but if someone comes to the door she's barking, growling and shackles are up. As Lea and I are talking the doorbell rings. Sure enough, Julia lets out a hysterical scream, starts crying, throws her arms up and runs for the nearest person. I laughed so damn hard that tears were rolling down my cheeks. I could hardly talk. I had to see it again so I rang the doorbell. Same reaction. Even though Julia could clearly see me on the porch, she is whaling. That time the dog didn't make a sound so it's not Gypsy that upsets her. When Darrin got home I showed him. The next day, I got my mom on the phone and rang the doorbell. Her response: "MY GOD!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home