What day is it?
The days have started to blend together. I can't remember how long we've been here. It seems like forever. Julia ended her stand-off and we started seeing a lot of progress. It lifted our spirits and we were certain the progress would continue. It all went down hill when it was our turn to feed Julia while the therapist watched. It's a beating. The fighting, crying, and cute comments have returned. What makes this whole thing especially hard is that we're being taught how to "remain neutral" and not engage with our cute monster. Sounds easy but let me tell you; it sucks. I don't know of any other way to describe it (without using curse words). Here's a couple of examples of what we're dealing with right now. Feel free to comment and let me know how you would feel if you were sitting in our shoes. I was feeding Julia breakfast yesterday and she's yelling, crying, and pushing the cup away. I was standing firm (while thinking of those colorful curse words) so she started pushing harder. By the end of our session she was pushing the cup so hard that I was literally covered with Pediasure. I'm ready to flip out and I'm considering choking her but I have a therapist sitting next to me saying "Remain neutral and ignore her behavior. Don't take the cup away." Suddenly, my thoughts of choking Julia turned to me choking the therapist. Dinner wasn't any easier. She cried hysterically and Darrin could do nothing but sit and watch her; oh yeah, and tried to remain neutral. Darrin and I have talked about packing up and taking Julia home but we won't because it's not in her best interest. Even though we'd love to home, it will be just as horrible when we get there. We have been assured she will try and revert back to her old ways but we can't give in.
I really don't know how much more we can take.
I really don't know how much more we can take.
4 Comments:
At 9:37 PM, January 28, 2008,
hallegracesmama said…
I'm sorry that it has not been easier for you guys, Carrie. Hopefully Julia will realize that you guys aren't going to budge (no matter what she spills on you!) and will give in. That must be so hard.
At 7:00 AM, January 29, 2008,
Krista said…
She has been this way since she was born.....I remember....
Krista
At 3:25 PM, February 11, 2008,
Billie said…
Oh dear... I'm sorry. That REALLY sucks. I'm just now checking in, so I hope things are going better, and maybe you are even home by now??? With great success??? Give us an update!
At 9:56 PM, April 06, 2008,
liz.mccarthy said…
Oh I've been there......
Curse words and all!
Especially for us when we finally get a meal in and we are on the last bite, and then we get a huge vomit and all our work, is well down the drain! I heard my husband yell the F word from the other side of the house. (in front of Miss K none-the-less)....soo frutrating! How is Julia doing now since your January post?
Post a Comment
<< Home